• Hike in Moran State Park. Pick-up your map in the main park area, just past the park entrance on Olga Road. The big kids can swim at the lake in a roped off sandy beach area. After your hike you can join them for a swim. The water is a rare 65-75 degrees this time of year. Perfect for a cool dip.
• Mount Constitution. The hike to the stone observation tower at the island’s highest peak is four steep miles, but the windy drive is a scenic five. The surrounding Moran State Park takes up much of the fortune-cookie-shaped island’s east side. Website: parks.wa.gov/547/moran
• Roses Bakery and Cafe. After the hike head to downtown Eastsound to Prune Alley. Show-up before the restaurant closes (at 4p.m.) NO reservations taken. Hours of operation: B’fast (ends at 11:30a.m.) or lunch/early dinner (ends at 4 p.m.) The sit-down service at Eastsound’s most popular cafe works for the leisurely, but those en route to the ferry are best served by the adjacent store that sells local goat cheese, sticky cinnamon rolls, all things baked, deli meats/cheese, sandwiches to go, wine, and neat kitchen items similar to a Williams Sonoma store on a mini scale. Convenient and delicious! 360-376-5805
• Coffelt Farm. The metal-sided farm stand on this Crow Valley property sells grass-fed lamb and beef, produce, and wool socks and hats made from the sheep flock. Stock up for dinner or buy some local goodies for the empty refrigerator waiting at home. Website: coffeltfarm.org.
• Crescent Beach Kayak. The outfit is the island’s first to offer clear-bottomed boats for sea life viewing, but any boat will do–kayaking is the islands’ signature sport. 360-376-2464
• Rosario Resort. An island treasure with a marina, restaurants, spa, and, in summer, three heated swimming pools! There’s a Daddy Warbucks flair to swimming in a millionaire’s private basement pool, especially the one in the mansion built by shipbuilder and nineteenth-century Seattle mayor Robert Moran. The arts-and-crafts-style estate is now a hotel and day passes for the resort spa run only $20.–best paired with free near-daily history lectures and pipe organ concerts (in summer), or with a classic cocktail in any season. rosarioresort.com
You start to get a sense of peace as soon as the ferry pulls out of Anacortes and heads for the San Juan Islands. As